Watercraft Accident Lawyer Illinois
Illinois Jet Ski Attorney
Watercraft injury claims Illinois
Jet skis are powerful vehicles that can travel at speeds over 40 mph, sometimes in high traffic areas on the water. Nearly 42% of all watercraft accident injuries involve a personal watercraft. Unfortunately, injuries coming from jet-ski accidents tend to be more severe because jet ski riders are more exposed than if they were in a boat.
Yet, the biggest problem with personal watercraft is people striking other people in the water, either another craft or a swimmer. Operators of all types of boats and jet skis traveling at high rates of speed must always be very careful and extra vigilant to spot people in the water. The craft may inadvertently travel into a designated swimming area, or a swimmer may wander outside the area. Since you can�t break the vessel, tragedy can easily occur when the operator is inattentive.
The consequences of careless personal watercraft operators can be serious, especially for young people. In any given year, about 20 percent of all personal watercraft injuries in the U.S. are to youth under the age of 18.
If you or a loved one has been in an accident involving a personal watercraft, we understand your need to focus on recovery or mourning your loss.
While you do this, let the experienced professionals at Murphy & Pressentin focus on your case. We understand the regulations that cover personal watercrafts. And, our team is experienced at getting professional quality documentation for your case including photos, police reports, eyewitness testimony and other important evidence that will be extremely important to the success of your case.
Contact Murphy & Pressentin to discuss your case and to schedule an initial consultation.
Here is a list of Do’s and Don’ts if you or a loved one has been involved in an personal injury accident that involved a personal watercraft:
- Document, document, document. Collect the names and addresses of the drivers, passengers and registered owners. Collect. Take pictures of your injuries, the watercraft, the accident scene and other vehicles. Or better yet, hire a personal injury lawyer and have them take the pictures for you.
- Hire an experienced personal injury lawyer. It is absolutely critical that documentation is done the right way so that if or when you walk into a courtroom you have the best possible information. By letting the professional personal injury lawyers at Murphy & Pressentin get this documentation for you as soon as possible after your accident, you will be more likely to get a settlement later. We will focus on your case so that you are able to focus on recovery or grieving over the loss of your loved one(s).
- Note the names of the police officers or highway patrol officers that responded to the accident. It is important for your lawyer to be able to contact these people as soon as possible after your accident.
- See your doctor. Often times, an injury from a watercraft accident can be underestimated. You may feel fine now, but some injuries, particularly neck and back injuries, can become quite painful and debilitating in the long term.
- Don’t be in a hurry to talk to the other side’s insurance company. There’s no reason for you to be in a rush to tell your story. You should speak with an experienced watercraft accident lawyer before speaking with any insurance company.
- Don’t talk to anybody about your case except your doctor, your insurance company, your lawyer, and law enforcement officials. These people must be informed about the circumstances of your crash and have your best interest in mind.
- Don’t wait to speak with a lawyer and a doctor. Find an experienced watercraft accident lawyer as soon as possible after your watercraft accident. Also, visit your doctor as soon as possible to assess any injuries you may have suffered.
- Don’t sign any release forms. We can’t emphasize this enough. If you do not fully understand what the papers are about, do not put your name on them. Once you settle your case, you won’t be able to get anything else.
Personal Injury Lawyers Disclaimer: The personal injury, wrongful death, negligence motor vehicle accident and/or other legal information offered by Murphy & Pressentin, LLC, Personal Injury Lawyers, is not formal legal advice, nor the formation of an Attorney-Client relationship. Any results set forth herein are based only upon the facts of that particular case and offer no promise or guarantee on the outcome of any case.