Car Accident Lawyer Illinois
Illinois Auto Accident Attorney
Car Accident Claims
Every year, there are an enormous number of auto accidents that occur. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in 2007 alone, there were over 6 million police-reported traffic crashes, in which 41,059 people were killed and more than 2.5 million people had personal injury
If you are personally injured in an auto accident, insurance adjusters are likely to contact you and encourage financial settlement. Yet there is a very important principle to keep in mind:
Insurance companies of other drivers do not have your best interest in mind!
You should meet with us before you agree to a financial settlement. Signing a settlement agreement can bar you from future action if your personal injury becomes worse or new complications arise. Our auto accident lawyers in Illinois will see that your rights are protected now and in the future.
Unfortunately, auto accidents do occur, and in many cases people are personally injured or killed. If you or a loved one has experienced this, we understand your need to focus on recovery and/or mourning your loss.
While you do this, let the experienced professional personal injury lawyers at Murphy & Pressentin in Illinois handle the sometimes complex legal issues surrounding motor vehicle accidents. We’re experienced at getting the critical documentation for your case including photos, police reports, eyewitness testimonies and other important evidence that is critical to the success of your case.
Contact Murphy & Pressentin’s personal injury, wrongful death lawyers in Illinois to discuss your case and to schedule an initial consultation.
ere is a list of Do’s and Don’ts if you or a loved one has been involved in an auto accident:
- Document, document, document. Collect the names and addresses of the drivers, passengers and registered owners. Collect. Take pictures of your personal injuries, the bike, the auto accident scene and other vehicles. Or better yet, hire a personal injury attorney and have them take the pictures for you.
- Hire an experienced attorney. It is absolutely critical that documentation is done the right way so that if or when you walk into a courtroom you have the best possible information. By letting the professionals at Murphy & Pressentin get this documentation for you as soon as possible after your accident, you will be more likely to get a settlement later. We will focus on your case so that you are able to focus on recovery or grieving over the loss of your loved one(s).
- Note any injuries. It is wise to visit your doctor as soon as possible after your accident, if you were not taken immediately to the emergency room for evaluation.
- Note the names of the police officers or highway patrol officers that responded to the accident. It is important for your lawyer to be able to contact these people as soon as possible after your car accident.
- Don’t be in a hurry to talk to the other side’s insurance company. There’s no reason for you to be in a rush to tell your story. You should speak with an experienced auto accident attorney before speaking with any insurance company.
- Don’t be in a rush to have your car fixed until you can document the damage. You may be able to have the other person’s insurance company pay for damages to your car. Before you have it fixed, make sure that you’ve talked with an attorney who handles auto accident cases to find out the best way and time to proceed.
Accidents that involve automobiles and pedestrians are scary but not uncommon. According to statistics gathered by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), over 60,000 pedestrians were injured in traffic accidents in 2006 alone. Hitting a pedestrian at speed of over 30 miles per hour often results in serious injuries and death, yet a driver can severely disable a pedestrian in a crash where the driver is traveling only 10 miles per hour.
Injured pedestrians are usually covered under their health and disability insurance policies, or worker’s compensation coverage, if the accident occurs on the job. They may be covered under one or more auto insurance policies. However, this is not always the case.
An injured pedestrian can usually file a claim against the driver’s or vehicle owner’s auto liability insurance policy. Almost all states require that vehicle owners and drivers carry liability insurance to cover personal injuries to third parties and damage to third parties’ property. Recoveries are dependent on whose fault the auto accident was and various state statutes.
If you or a loved one has been injured by a motor vehicle as a pedestrian, we understand that you need to focus on recovery or mourning your loss.
While you do this, let the experienced professionals at Murphy & Pressentin focus on your case. We understand the legal issues at hand and are skilled at analyzing and reconstructing these types of auto accidents. We are experienced at collecting the right documentation surrounding your auto accident, which is critical to the success of your case.
Contact Murphy & Pressentin to discuss your case and to schedule an initial consultation.